Follow by Email

Friday, August 2, 2013

Review of I, Saul, a new international thriller by Jerry B. Jenkins

I, Saul, by Jerry B. Jenkins


I recently read I, Saul by Jerry B. Jenkins (with James S. MacDonald). This international thriller is being dubbed as a Christian Da Vinci Code. I, Saul is a different sort of novel, and kudos to Jenkins for originality. The story involves Augie, a professor, who travels across the globe to help find an artifact tied to the apostle Paul.

Jenkins is one of my favorite writers. I enjoyed the Left Behind series, Hometown Legend, and the Precinct 11 novels. I even drove three hours once to hear Jenkins speak at Taylor University. All that to say, I am a fan, and yet, it just wasn’t my favorite Jenkins novel. To be fair, I read this novel through the lens of a fellow author. I would have liked to have seen longer scenes, characters developed more, and POV handled differently. It is highly likely that readers (who are not authors) might not feel the same and would thoroughly enjoy the story.

What I admire is that Jenkins did produce an original concept. It is always more risky to step out and try something different because not everyone might like it. I enjoyed the parts that contained Biblical characters Luke and Paul the best because it was interesting to consider what Paul’s life might have been like (apart from what we already know). 

This book might appeal to those who enjoy Biblical fiction, international thrillers, or novels by Jenkins. To learn more about I, Saul, please view the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUoos-jlmDE

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By LifeWidget
Powered By LifeWidget
Powered By LifeWidget