Follow by Email

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Interview with Author Debbie Roome


Author Debbie Roome has written several books, including Embracing Change, Magnitude 7.1 and 6.3, and Cyber-Bullying is Never Alright.

WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR ASPIRING WRITERS?

Writing is a way of life. Everything I see and experience has potential to end up in a story one day. Try carrying a notebook wherever you go and write down flashes of inspiration. Remember also that you can learn to write on demand. You don’t have to wait for an entire story to fall into your mind. It may come bit by bit.

WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO START WRITING?/WHEN DID YOU KNOW YOU WANTED TO BE A WRITER?

I wrote my first ‘book’ when I was six. It was about a pixie named Agarel and filled a spiral bound notebook. I sold my first story to the children’s section of a major Johannesburg newspaper when I was eight. At school I won many awards and certificates for poetry and creative writing and went on to do freelance work for newspapers and magazines in Zimbabwe and South Africa. I moved to New Zealand in 2006 and determined to make writing my full time career. I write everyday and have never been more fulfilled.

WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE AUTHORS?

I read widely, but current favorites are Richard Paul Evans, John Grisham, and Nicholas Sparks. I like some of Ted Dekker’s books and also enjoy Robin Cook’s medical thrillers.

YOU LIVED IN SOUTH AFRICA. DID YOUR EXPERIENCES LIVING THERE INFLUENCE YOUR WRITING OF YOUR NOVEL, EMBRACING CHANGE?

I lived in South Africa for 15 years and Embracing Change includes
some of my own experiences. The book opens with Sarah, the main
character flying out of Johannesburg to live in New Zealand. Her
thoughts about leaving family and familiar sights and sounds were very
much my own when I emigrated. I also focus on the racial tension in
South Africa and the story weaves hope, forgiveness and understanding
into a thought-provoking message that spans two continents.

IS CHRISTIAN FICTION A POPULAR GENRE IN NEW ZEALAND?

Christian fiction is popular amongst Christian readers but accounts
for a very small percentage of the New Zealand market. The population
of the country is only 4 million and when you narrow that down to
Christians that enjoy fiction, the number is small. Most of the
Christian fiction available here is written by American authors.

DID YOU LEARN ANYTHING IN YOUR RESEARCH FOR WRITING EMBRACING CHANGE THAT SURPRISED YOU?

One of the chapters is set in Soweto which is the area of Johannesburg
where the black people live. I learnt a lot about the conditions they
endured during apartheid including a power station that polluted the
area but only supplied power to the white suburbs.

IF YOU COULD TRAVEL ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, WHERE WOULD YOU GO?

I love travelling and have explored a number of countries and
continents. However, I have never been to the USA and that has been my
dream for years. I would like to spend a few days in New York and then
travel around meeting some of my writing friends.

DO YOU HAVE ANY PETS?

I have a Jack Russell named Nelson. He’s my hairy child and terribly
spoilt according to the rest of the family. He has his own beanbag and
duvet in my office and loves to keep me company when I’m writing.


brunette woman is shown on cover, standing in field of purple flowers

Cover shows a man holding a wireless computer mouse, presumably sittting near a computer. Text on front cover is as follows: Dealing with the Pain of Cyber Abuse.

To learn more about Debbie and her books, please visit her Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By LifeWidget
Powered By LifeWidget
Powered By LifeWidget