Follow by Email

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Interview with Kathy Cretsinger

I recently interviewed Kathy Cretsinger. Kathy moved from the mountains of Eastern Tennessee to the flat lands of Western Kentucky almost two years ago to be close to her children. She writes as Katt Anderson.

HOW MUCH TIME DID YOU SPEND RESEARCHING YOUR STORY?

It feels like it’s taken forever, but I know it hasn't. I lived in the area where the story is written, so I had a lot of people to talk to. I would write and talk to someone if something felt wrong. I can't say exactly how long I researched. I did it during the writing of the story.

HOW DID YOUR RESEARCH YOUR STORY (ONLINE, READING BOOKS, ETC.)?

I talked to historians, researched online, through books, and historical meetings.

DID YOU VISIT ANY PLACES AS PART OF YOUR RESEARCH?

I had visited the places in the past, and I lived in the area. Seeing it is so much better.

DID ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR RESEARCH SURPRISE YOU?

Yes. I found out about an archaeological dig in South Carolina. It told me a lot about the people I was writing about. I had been to the town before and loved it. It was interesting that a place I loved was where my ancestors lived in the late 1500s.

WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE AUTHORS?

That's a hard one because I have so many friends who are authors. My favorite is my crit partner, Susan Page Davis. Not only does she write wonderful books, but she is a wonderful person. I love Kaye Dacus and DiAnn Mills. Then, who can't love Mary Connealy? For suspense, I dearly love Stephen James, such a crazy person. A new writer I have so much respect for, and her books are wonderful, is Sandi Rog. She has been fighting a battle with cancer for the last nine months. She has so much strength in her writing.

WHEN DID YOU DECIDE TO START WRITING?

I always told stories to my children, and I do have a vivid imagination. I must have been pretty good, because my daughter went to school and told her teacher her mommy had a dinosaur for a pet and grew up in a cave. But seriously, I began when I retired to care for my parents. My dad passed away soon after I retired and my mom was diagnosed with dementia. I wrote to help with the grieving process and to escape the pressure that was on me. I loved it so much that I'm still writing. I encourage anyone who has any depression to write.http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

HOW DO YOU LIKE TO SPEND YOUR TIME WHEN YOU’RE NOT WRITING?

When I'm not writing, I'm at a soccer or softball game watching my grandchildren. My oldest is in her high school band, and we get to see her band performances some. She lives about two hours away from us. The other grands live close by.

I love to read, and I do a lot of that. I'm active in church, and we have a very active congregation. I teach a class of 5th and 6th graders, and I also oversee a website that the church sponsors, www.forchristiangirls.org. That takes a good deal of time, but some of the teen girls are helping me now. They are wonderful writers. I enjoy sewing and cooking. I used to scrapbook, but writing has taken its place.

8 comments:

  1. It's great to get to know you even BETTER, my friend! Great interview - now I know I have someone to talk soccer with! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice 'first' interview Katt and Heidi. I was intrigued with the archeological aspect of your research, as my first published book and my current WIP have archeology woven into them as well.
    http://www.tracykraussexpressionexpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview Kathy, would never have known it was your first.

    Wyndy Callahan
    wynsbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your interview. I love when research takes me in a new direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good interview, Kathy. And it sounds as if your book is going to be very well researched. It's good that you are enjoying the writing journey. That's cute about your dinosaur pet. You must have been a good storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum...research in S Carolina...I can't wait! Keep working!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered By LifeWidget
Powered By LifeWidget
Powered By LifeWidget