Follow by Email

Friday, August 19, 2011

Interview with Alice J. Wisler

photo of author, Alice Wisler


YOU WERE BORN IN JAPAN. WHAT WAS IT LIKE LIVING THERE?

That's a question that takes hours to answer. But to minimize, I'll just say that growing up in Japan and living there for twenty years as a missionary kid and later as an English-as-a-second language teacher, helped to shape who I am today. Not only do I love Japanese food, but I think I have a pretty good world view. I went to school with kids from all over the globe and learned from them. When my senior class ate lunch out on the front lawn, it was like a mini-United Nations.

WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO START WRITING?

I'm not sure. I've been forming stories on stapled pages since I was six. I always hoped to become published one day.

WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE AUTHORS?

I like Elizabeth Berg's novels for the way she writes and immediately gets me to feel like I know her main character. I also like Anne Lamott for her humor. And Rick Bragg warms me with his Southern style.

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO ASPIRING AUTHORS?

Don't give up. You will be defeated only if you choose to give up.

image from front cover of novel, A Wedding Invitation, by author, Alice Wisler, in which a girl holds a pink flower in front of her face.

TELL ME ABOUT YOUR LATEST RELEASE, A WEDDING INVITATION.

After returning home from teaching in a refugee camp in the Philippines, Samantha Bravencourt enjoys her quiet life working at her mother's clothing boutique near Washington, D.C. When she receives an invitation to her friend's wedding in Winston-Salem, NC, she's excited to reconnect with her college pals.

But the wedding turns out quite differently than Sam expects. A chance encounter leads to a reunion with Carson Brylie, a fellow teacher and the man who once broke her heart, and Lien, a young Amerasian girl who desperately needs Sam and Carson's help.

But working with Carson might put Sam's tender heart at risk once again. Is she willing to forgive the past and take another chance on love?

IS THERE A MESSAGE IN YOUR LATEST STORY THAT YOU HOPE STICKS WITH YOUR READERS?

Yes! A Wedding Invitation is about forgiveness and second chances. And rhubarb pie is good. Really.

HOW MANY BOOKS HAVE YOU PUBLISHED?

I self-published two cookbooks in memory of kids who died. My son Daniel was the inspiration for those. He died from cancer treatments at the age of four in 1997. With Bethany House, I have four novels out---Rain Song, How Sweet It Is, Hatteras Girl, and now A Wedding Invitation. All my novels are stand-alones and take place in God's Country, a.k.a. North Carolina.

HOW DO YOU LIKE TO SPEND YOUR TIME WHEN http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifYOU'RE NOT WRITING?

We have a roundabout boat named after my novel Rain Song. I love going out on it with my husband and kids. I also enjoy spending time in my kitchen, cooking Asian dishes. And while I cook, I'm often thinking about new novel ideas, hoping one of them will make me rich and famous.


http://www.alicewisler.com


Link to Alice's book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Wedding-Invitation-Alice-J-Wisler/dp/0764207334

3 comments:

  1. I love North Carolina. I looked for your book on Amazon but can't find it. It's sounds like a book I'd like to read.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I found it on Amazon and also Christian Book Distributors. Thanks for the link to Amazon.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By LifeWidget
Powered By LifeWidget
Powered By LifeWidget